- Your Excellencies
- Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen
Lady Allen joins me in welcoming each one of you to King’s House this morning.
Your Excellencies, through this brief ceremony for the presentation of credentials we hope to make you feel right at home in Jamaica where we say, no problem man!
We want to assure you that your assignment to Jamaica is a reminder of your country’s interest, and a recognition of our value in international relations.
As we assimilate and appreciate each other’s cultures, it may be interesting to note that there is so much that we can and have learnt from each other, so much so, that this year Jamaica (without having snow) presents its first female bobsleigh team for the Winter Olympics now on in South Korea.
In addition to our excellent showing in world athletics and our infectious music, fashion, etc. positioning us, as the melting pot of the Caribbean, February is also celebrated as Reggae Month. So, there is no shortage of activities for you to sample aspects of our rich cultural heritage.
Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, I note that you represent a cross section of regions (and interests).
The Commonwealth and Africa are represented by the Republic of Namibia, Republic of Malawi and the Republic of Zambia.
Europe is strongly represented by Romania and the Republic of Bulgaria and, Asia, by the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
Central America is also represented by the Republic of El Salvador and the Republic of Nicaragua.
Allow me to individually recognise:
- His Excellency Mr. Nguyen Trung Thanh, Ambassador-designate of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam to Jamaica
- Congratulations on your appointment and welcome to Jamaica;
- I note, with satisfaction, that both countries have enjoyed cordial relations since the establishment of diplomatic relations forty-two (42) years ago; (1976)
- We thank the Vietnamese Government for hosting representatives from the private sector on a study tour on Aquaculture in the Mekong Delta; and hope that we can see further capacity building between both countries in this and other identified areas during your tenure.
- Her Excellency Mrs. Doamna Genţiana Şerbu, Ambassador-Designate of Romania
- Mrs. Genţiana Şerbu welcome to Jamaica and congratulations on your appointment;
- I note, with satisfaction, that both countries have enjoyed a cordial relationship since the establishment of diplomatic relations over forty-three years ago.
Jamaica looks forward to building on these relations during your tenure; especially in the area of education, and Romania’s offer of scholarships at the undergraduate and post-graduate levels;
- Her Excellency Mrs. Sandra Geraldine Alvarado Ramirez, Ambassador-Designate of The Republic Of El Salvador
Capital: San Salvador
Population: 6,108,590 (July 2013 est.)
- Mrs. Sandra Alvarado Ramirez welcome to Jamaica and congratulations on your appointment;
- Advise: there is scope for advancing bilateral relations between Jamaica and El Salvador and I hope that greater bilateral ties will be forged during your tenure; with the potential for further collaboration through the exchange of best practices in the areas of security and tourism – two fields which are of importance to both our countries.
- Jamaica and El Salvador established diplomatic relations on 13th November 1990.
- Mrs. Wendy Palma Beckford, Ambassador-Designate of The Republic of Nicaragua
- Congratulations on your appointment and I wish you a very successful and rewarding tour of duty as you represent Nicaragua in Jamaica;
- I hope that the strong bonds of cooperation and friendship between Jamaica and Nicaragua will be further strengthened during your tenure;
- His Excellency Mr. Neville Gertze, Ambassador-Designate of Namibia
Population: 2,484,780 (2017 est.)
Independence: 21st March 1990
- I welcome you to Jamaica, and congratulations on your appointment;
- Both Namibia and Jamaica have enjoyed a cordial relationship since the establishment of diplomatic relations twenty-seven years ago.
We look forward to building on these relations during your tenure;
- Her Excellency Mrs. Maria Nedialkova Donska Ambassador-Designate of The Republic of Bulgaria
Bulgaria - Capital: Sofia
Population: 7,101,510 (July 2017 est.)
- Your Excellency, congratulations on your appointment;
- Jamaica and Bulgaria will celebrate forty-one years of diplomatic relations in March, and I hope that the bonds of friendship and cooperation between the two countries will be further strengthened during your tenure.
- I note too that, Bulgaria assumed the Presidency of the Council of the EU on 1st January 2018, and one of the four areas of focus for your country is on young people.
I convey best wishes for a successful Presidency.
- His Excellency Mr. Kali Prasad Pokhrel, Ambassador-Designate of The Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal
Population 31 million (UN, 2012)
- Mr. Kali Prasad Pokhrel welcome to Jamaica and congratulations on your appointment;
- Your appointment is of particular significant as you are the first Ambassador of Nepal to be appointed to Jamaica. It provides a significant opportunity for these relations to be further developed;
- His Excellency Mr. Brian Bowler, High Commissioner-Designate of Malawi to Jamaica
Population: 18 million (October 2017)
- Mr. Bowleris, welcome to Jamaica and congratulations on your appointment as Malawi’s first High Commissioner to Jamaica;
- Both countries have fostered a cordial relationship since the establishment of diplomatic relations twenty-eight years ago and I the hope that these relations will be enhanced during your tenure;
- His Excellency Mr. Felix Nicholas Mfula, High Commissioner-Designate for Zambia to Jamaica
Population: 17,408,339 (February 2018)
- High Commissioner-designate, welcome to Jamaica and congratulations on your appointment;
- I note, with satisfaction, that both countries have enjoyed a cordial relationship since the establishment of diplomatic relations forty-seven years ago and I would like to indicate that Jamaica looks forward to building on these relations during your tenure;
We welcome you all, Ambassadors and trust that you will find satisfaction and success in your work in the region, including the specific matters which involve Jamaica and the relationship between our countries.
I encourage you to make use of the network which the Office of the Governor-General can offer you. My Representative in each of our fourteen parishes, the Custos Rotulorum / Keeper of the Rolls will be pleased to receive and assist you in making your visit a great experience.
As I close, I wish for each of you, your staff and your families, all the success you desire and deserve.
Again, welcome. Lady Allen and I look forward to seeing you on Thursday evening at Cocktails and Dinner when you can relax and enjoy the flavours of Jamaica and something more of our cultural heritage.